Lecture 17: 2020-11-05
Exam 2: Tues, Nov 10
56 questions; multiple choice; 1.5hrs
Much of the material is definitions or just common sense.
- Definition of weathering
- Name of mineral that dissolves in carbonic acid
- Know different types of physical and chemical weathering
- Oxidation, hydrolisis, …
- What is exfoliation?
- Type of climate where chemical weathering is most effective
- Know different agents of erosion (running water, ground water, glaciers, wind)
- Which is most effective today
- Which was most effect 10k ago
- When it comes to mass wasting, what makes a slope stable (or unstable)
- Know different types of mass wasting
- Slide vs Slump
- Rockfall, …
- What is a landslide
- What is a creep
- What triggered landslide in Peru in 1970?
Running water (rivers)
- What are point bars
- What is saltation
- How does a river carry sediments (e.g. different loads)
- dissolved, suspended, bed load
- What is river discharge
- What is a delta
- Largest river in North America
- What is a meander stream?
- What is oxbow lake
- Aswan Dam
- Where are sediments deposited
- What may have changed?
- What is the water table?
- What is a stalactite vs stalagmite
- What is porosity? Permeability?
- What is an artesian well?
- What is an aquifer
- What is aquiclude
- Why is rain water acidic?
- What is karst topography/landscape?
- Problems with excessive pumping of ground water
- What portion of earth surface is covered by glaciers
- What causes ice ages
- What’s been happening to glaciers for past 200 years
- Different types of glaciers
- Where is largest glacier in world today?
- What is a moraine? Terminal moraine? Medial moraine?
- What kind of moraine is south fork of Long Island
- What’s name of last ice age
- Why drill in ice in Antarctica? What’s in the core? Climate change
- What shape are glacial valleys
- When was the last advance of Pleistocene
- What happens to sea level when glaciers advance
- Eolian is overall term from Greek god
- Loess & dunes: wind deposits. What’s difference?
- What is deflation surface?
- What is desertification
- What are barchan dunes? Parabolic dunes